Monday, July 04, 2011

Orhan Pamuk

My mind is really playing tricks on me. I may very well give up everything before ending up killing myself. Oh, okay, it's a hyperbole, I'm not going to kill myself for sure but I really lose sight of the purpose of keep on trying to work hard if I cannot concentrate on any single thing I try to do.

Now, no connection at all with the previous paragraph, let's iterate my beloved Orhan Pamuk quotes.

Tell me then, does love make one a fool or do only fools fall in love? -My Name is Red-

The first thing I learned at school was that some people are idiots; the second thing I learned was that some are even worse. -Istanbul: Memories and the City-

How much can we ever know about the love and pain in another heart? How much can we hope to understand those who have suffered deeper anguish, greater deprivation, and more crushing disappointments than we ourselves have known? -Snow-

It may not happen in the first instant, but within ten minutes of meeting a man, a woman has a clear idea of who he is, or at least who he might be for her, and her heart of hearts has already told her whether or not she's going to fall in love with him.

I am nothing but a corpse now, a body at the bottom of a well. -My Name is Red-

As much as I live I shall not imitate them or hate myself for being different to them. -Snow-

The entire world was like a palace with countless rooms whose doors opened into one another. We were able to pass from one room to the next only by exercising our memories and imaginations, but most of us, in our laziness, rarely exercised these capacities, and forever remained in the same room.

And yes, I read My Name is Red but really forget whether I finished the book or not. Maybe not. Seems like I haven't reached the part where the murderer was concealed. And yes, I really didn't find that love story between Black and Shekure (or whatever her name is) to be appealing at all. But overall, it was an interesting read.. just not my cup of tea. (Mental Note: seems like Snow worth reading)

No comments: